About Thomas Ueda
Thomas is a photographer in love with art, cameras and exploring new places. Currently based in Los Angeles, he focus his work mostly in beauty, fashion and travel photography.
Born and raised in Brazil, Thomas became interested in art while studying fashion in Sao Paulo, Brazil. He began to take drawing classes which was part of the fashion course, that was the first step to the art world. The second and major step happened in 2012 when Thomas got his hands on his first camera, changing the way he perceived everything. The world through a viewfinder brought a different sense on art making, that same year on a trip to Peru, the power of freezing moments and creating beautiful pictures with the right setting and pressing the shutter made him realize that, a camera was from now on part of his heart and of him.
For the next few months Thomas started to work as a photographer for some parties and discos on the nights of Sao Paulo, being the first opportunity for him to work with a camera. The turning point on his life happened on a trip to Los Angeles in November 2013, what was supposed to be a normal and tourist trip turned to an opportunity to study in the United States. Without really planning and thinking, he left everything in Brazil and moved to Los Angeles in the beginning of the following year.
Already in the City of the Angels, English was the first school he attended for the first semester. The second half of the year Thomas applied for College to get his passion for photography in a deeper level, where he concluded in June 2017. Now he is going even deeper in the world he had fallen with. There is never a limit of learning.
In his free time, Thomas likes to spend his time drawing, playing video game, watching movies and drinking a nice cup of coffee while editing pictures or simply admiring the view after every sip.
- Basic Skills in Photography from "ABRA - Academia Brasileira de Artes" (Brazilian Academy of Arts), 2012
- English as a Second Language from POLY Languages in Los Angeles, 2014
- Skills Certificate in Darkroom from Los Angeles City College, 2015
- Skills Certificate in Digital Photography from Los Angeles City College, 2016
- Certificate of Conclusion in Digital Photography from Los Angeles City College, 2017
- Associate's Degree of Art in Photography from Los Angeles City College, 2017
Awards & Honors:
- Finalist of the Photographer's Forum Magazine 36th Annual College & High School Photography Contest, 2016
- Finalist of the Photographer's Forum Magazine 36th Annual Spring Photography Center, 2016
- First Place at the Los Angeles City College Scholarship Award for Advanced Students in Photography, 2016
- First Place at the Los Angeles City College Scholarship & Daniel Marlos Award for International Students in Photography, 2017
- Full Time Dean's Honor at Los Angeles City College Fall 2014; Spring and Fall 2015 and 2016
- President's Honor at Los Angeles City College Fall 2015; Spring and Fall 2016
- Same Cities Global Street Photography Project Los Angeles, 2016
- Getty Museum College Night Los Angeles, 2017